Forbes magazine released their newest Highest Paid Athletes ranking. The list includes football, tennis, basketball, golf and american football stars in the top-10. But one can find the combat sports athletes in the top-100.
The 100 highest paid athletes earned a combined $3.6 billion this year, which is 9% below 2019 and the first decline since 2016.
Roger Federer leads the ranking for the first time, with $106 million of pre-tax earnings. He beat out football stars Cristiano Ronaldo and Leonel Messi, who swapped the number one spot in three of the past four years.
The ultimate fighters
Regarding combat sports, WBC heavyweight champion Tyson Fury had the top spot amongst fighters, ranking in 11. He collected $57 million in earnings, with $7 million of that coming from endorsements.
On other hand, UFC superstar Conor McGregor was at number 16, with $48 million in earnings. The Irish fighter also acummulated $16 million from endorsements.
IBF, IBO, WBA, WBO heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua was number 19, with $47 million in earnings and $11 million of that from endorsements.
Former world champion Deontay Wilder was sitting at number 20, with $46.5 million in earnings. Only $500,000 came from endorsements.
And finnaly Canelo Alvares collected $37 million. He is on 30th place in the global list.
Top Highest Paid Fighters 2020
- Tyson Fury $57 million
- Conor McGregor $48 million
- Anthony Joshua $47 million
- Deontay Wilder $46.5 million
- Canelo Alvares $37 million
Top 10 Highest Paid Athletes 2020
- Roger Federer (tennis): $106.3 million
- Cristiano Ronaldo (football): $105 million
- Lionel Messi (football): $104 million
- Neymar (football): $95.5 million
- LeBron James (basketball): $88.2 million
- Stephen Curry (basketball): $74.4 million
- Kevin Durant (basketball): $63.9 million
- Tiger Woods (golf): $62.3 million
- Kirk Cousins (american football): $60.5 million
- Carson Wentz (american football): $59.1 million