Argentinian super star Lionel Messi was named the world’s highest-paid football player, according to Finance Football’s annual ranking “Top World’s Highest Paid Football Players” released this Monday.
Messi collects almost €100 million per year, before taxes. Finance Football points out that his professional contract with Barcelona ends next year.
Behind Messi is longtime rival Cristiano Ronaldo (No. 2). Portuguese forward has a salary of €54 million a year, almost half of the salary of the Argentinian.
Antoine Griezmann is placed in third. Barcelona player earns €38 million/year, after completing his move from Atletico Madrid to Catalunia capital last summer.
One might be surprise with the ranking, namely the position of Neymar. PSG’s star has a paycheck of €35 million a year in France’s capital team. Right behind him is Luis Suarez (Barcelona), with an annual wage of €34 million.
Another surprise: Andres Iniesta‘s salary at Japanese Vissel Kobe: €27 million. The Spanish player ranks in 7th. One position above is Gareth Bale, with a salary of €28 million in Real Madrid.
Alexis Sanchez (Manchester United) and Phillipe Coutinho (Bayern Munchen) are 8th, both with an annual salary of €25 million. Playing fo Chinese Shanghai SIPG, Brazilian Oscar collects around €24 million a year.
Top 10 World’s Highest Paid Football Players 2020
1. Lionel Messi (Barcelona): €96 million
2. Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus): €54 million
3. Antoine Griezmann (Barcelona): €38 million
4. Neymar (PSG): €35 million
5. Luis Suarez (Barcelona): €34 million
6. Gareth Bale (Real Madrid): €28 million
7. Andres Iniesta (Vissel Kobe): €27 million
8. Alexis Sanchez (Manchester United): €25 million
8. Philippe Coutinho (Bayern Munchen): €25 million
10. Oscar (Shanghai SIPG): €24 million